Friday, September 08, 2006

Over-used phrases that annoy me.


I am by no means a linguist, but certain overused phrases truly annoy me.

Like people who let “irregardless” roll off their tongues REGARDLESS of the fact that it’s a bastardization of proper English.
.

Another is “at the end of the day.” And those that use this phrase, use-it-to- DEATH. “at the end of the day, you have to consider blah blah blah.” “what’s important is that at the end of the day blah blah blah.” I don’t now what it is but whenever I hear that phrase used, it just makes my blood boil..and I stop listening.

What made me think of this is a news item I found on Think Progress
about the use of “stay the course” Apparently the President, who’s been known to practically tattoo this phrase on his forehead and claim it as his own, has now criticized the media for saying that this is his stance on the war. Excuse me? My first thought was “have any of these people read 1984?” (one of the commenters on the Think Progress piece had the same thought) I won’t even address the issue that the Iraqis did not drive those planes into the WTC, Pentagon and the field in PA on 9/11. I’ll save that for another day. But this is the same guy who claimed he was the “decider not divider” (and other pearls of wisdom) and whenever the Democrats even suggested getting out of Iraq, he just kept repeating “stay the course” over and over again as if it were his personal mantra.

Don’t get me wrong, if they’ve finally gotten it through their thick heads that “staying the course” is not the best strategy, then I’m thrilled. But don’t say you never said it….and that it’s not your “position.”

How do these people look at themselves in the mirror every day??

Irregardless of their intentions, at the end of the day, we still have to stay the course with this administration for another 864 days.

Yes, I am counting.

No comments: