Monday, October 23, 2006

Politics on my mind

First a brief follow-up to my previous comment about “staying the course” Here’s an interesting clip where the republicans AGAIN claim that it was never a stay the course strategy in Iraq.
I especially like how Bartlett throws in a few other “winning” pieces of verbiage like “cut and run” (one of their favorites) and “head in the sand” Nice.

And on a more optimistic note, I’m kind of excited that Barak Obama is considering a run for president in 2008. I think he is a great speaker, has charm and charisma and would likely do a great job. I would vote for him. However, I worry that those people who were so worried about “non issues” last time around like gay marriage…might not be ready for Obama. Some people will never be able to get past the color of his skin. Those same people aren’t ready for Clinton or Feingold either. (for all of the obvious reasons) Who does that leave for the Democrats? Kerry? Gore? Biden? Gore claims he won’t run. Kerry would have to sing a stronger song. And Biden…well, I’m not sure about him yet although he seems like a strong enough candidate.

The thing that bothers me most about the choices is that we all know that the choices many people make before they step into that voting booth are not always based on who would truly do the best job. But who they most identify with.

I would like to see an honest, politically incorrect take on the choices but I don’t know who would be nonpartisan or brave enough to give it.

And what about the republicans? Looks like McCain is the obvious choice and there was a time when I might have thought that as Republicans go, he isn’t a bad choice. But I think he’s being manipulated by his party just to get his name on the ticket.

Step up to the plate, Democrats. Learn a thing or two from the other side about how to get your message across and STAY on that message.

Maybe Barak Obama is the man to do it.

2 comments:

Vinny said...

Oof. While I agree that Obama is terrific, charismatic, ad has the potential to be a terrific leader, he presently has a few things going against him.

1- He's young.
2- He doesn't play the game well.
3- Sorry... he's black.

I don't think he's ready, and I know the USA is not ready for him. If he runs now, while so young, he will undermine any future run, and put on a national stage his views and strategem, handing the folks on the right the official Barak Obama Presidential Campaign Playbook.

I like Obama. I think a run now would be ill-advised. I kknow his party and his advisors are telling him the same thing.

Get a decent candidate and make him the VP- we'll talk then. Unfortunately, he doesn't have anyone to play first fiddle.

2010 is his year, if we don't get a democrat in this time. We're not going to, by the way. We need to run one more sacrificial lamb, then come back for 16 years of democratic leadership.

Lisa said...

I'm afraid you might be right. I just keep holding out a shread of hope that somewhere there is some little known Governor or Congressman that will magically appear after Nov 7th and be the front runner and an obvious choice that we can get excited about. Much like that Governor from Arkansas.