Thursday, November 09, 2006

Every decision comes down to these three choices

I’ve been at the same company for nearly 7 years. Longer than I’ve been anywhere. The main function of my job is as project manager for my company’s many many web sites. In a nutshell, my problem is this… the “powers that be” really have no clue what it takes to create these masterpieces, and while they sit around with those “big ideas” SOMEONE, has to actually do the work. So I’m consistently short handed.


My direct supervisor got fed up and just took another position in the company. And the guy who she reported to is not only clueless most of the time about what I do but (more importantly), powerless to help me get some additional resources.

So, I sought the counsel of someone who I used to work for, thinking she might be able to offer some guidance. An hour long pep talk came down to these three choices.
  • Suck it up and see where the chips fall
  • Work to create a solution to make it better
  • Get out

And I left her office thinking that nearly every decision we make in life comes down to these three choices. Think about it…. Don’t like your job? See above. In a bad relationship? See above.



As I see it, each has it’s own pros and cons. If I suck it up, then I can look forward to more of the same. Wonder how much I can take before my head explodes. Or my dept head might actually be able to pull a rabbit out of his hat in the new year…. Doubtful



I’ve already tried the “work to make it better” option and it’s gotten me nowhere.


So that leaves me here… hating my job. Reluctant to leave because of some perks and benefits that I’m fond of. But really having no choice. ACK!


Life is too short to hate your job, right? Guess it’s time to dust off my resume.


Anyone want to hire a hard working Internet Marketing Manager?


I’m sure I’ll have more to say on navigating the job market. I suspect it will suck.

2 comments:

Vinny said...

At what point do you and I throw in together, say 'screw them all' and start our own company?

We could put a handful of servers in your garage. I could blog and podcast. You can make me famous, and we'll split 55/45.

Then we'll take the millions, give them to your man, and start 'flipping' properties. We'll be rich!

All the gadgets are tax deductible then...

Lisa said...

When, indeed?

Count me in but what's with the 55/45?