Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Elections as a sport

Today, I am giddy.

I am not a big sports fan (much to the annoyance of my father and brothers). And I never really GOT the excitement over watching your team win…or the “WE WON” mentality that goes along with being an avid fan.

Today I get it.

Elections, like most Super Bowls, are often kind of dry and very seldom close. Sure there’s the occasional presidential election that goes down to the wire… But most of the time, there are no big surprises, no need for instant replays and not much overtime.

Last night, I stayed up WAY too late watching election results, giddy with excitement that my team was finally edging out ahead. I was not only cheering for my home team but for everyone’s home team. I truly felt like the sports nuts I like to make fun of who can quote the stats of their favorite players. I couldn’t believe I was so engrossed in up to the minute results from states I have never set foot in.

Today, I feel like my vote counted for something.

Go Dems, Go!

1 comment:

Vinny said...

Yeah- we watched too. Wife is giddy. I'm happy, but I just can't get that excited when the tone and direction will continue to be set by the Executive Branch.

Tick, tick, tick.