Monday, November 20, 2006

It all comes down to time or money

My husband and I are often puzzled by how frequently we find ourselves saying "why isn't there any food in the house? Am I exaggerating? Maybe just a little… I mean after all, how much food could two five year old girls possibly eat? You'd be surprised.

We feel like we are constantly going grocery shopping. Either him, late at night after the kids are in bed…or me on the weekend dragging two weary 5 year olds behind me. As a rule, I don't mind going grocery shopping, but somehow, by the time I get to the register, I often become a raving lunatic as I've just spent 15 or 20 aisles going…"come on, girls. Walk faster" or "STOP IT" in varying degrees of urgency and volume. So that by the time I actually get out the store, I feel like the world's worst parent and I just want to throw something at someone.

So the last time I was at my local supermarket, I noticed that they were offering a shop at home service where you can order online and then either pick up or have the stuff delivered. The cost is minimal. Ten bucks to order online and an additional 10 if you want them to deliver it. And for me, another "excuse" to be online. (as if I needed one!)

In a nutshell, order online, pick a window of time about 4 hours later to pick it all up, show up at the store and pay for and claim your already bagged groceries.

No wandering the aisles in search of something. No impulse buying. No standing in line behind that person who decides to write a check. Or the one who is arguing with the cashier over the validity of the expired coupon.

Just show up and get your stuff. What could be better than that?

Admittedly, I did forget a few things that I might have remembered if I was walking up and down the aisles. But I certainly found a better use for the time on a Saturday afternoon with my kids.

$10 well spent. Try it if you can.

3 comments:

Vinny said...

This has definite geek potential. We'll have to talk about which one it is, and what you think.

$10 is still a bit of dough, but I remember those days of shopping with unhappy kids. I'd have paid 10x$10 for an escape. Having a 13 year old means being able to say "see ya when I get back."

Of course, he's eaten all the food by then, and I've fallen further behind, so it's a circular thing.

MapleMama said...

Wow - I'm INSANELY jealous! We dont' have any markets here in backwoods VT that offer such a service. I only have one toddler - but grocery shopping is a challenge I never anticipated!

Just came to your blog from Vinny's - very nice. I look forward to reading more.

Lisa said...

Welcome, MapleMama. Thanks for stopping by.