Friday, January 05, 2007

My final word on Resolutions

What is it about turning the calendar to January that inspires us all to want to be better people?

Doesn’t everyone want to lose weight, stop smoking, be more organized, (insert resolution here) all the time?

We could certainly resolve to be a better person when turning the calendar page to…say… Thursday.

And Janaury does always represent that feeling of a fresh start. I get it. But after hemming and hawing about what I’m going to do better this year… I’m finally just resolving to:

Do better

And if I don’t… then tomorrow is another day to:

Do better, now.

And so on.

And in that category of Doing Better… here the things I’d like to be better at:

  • Better at eating (actually, I’m kinda great at that now which is part of my problem)
  • Better at taking care of myself and those I love
  • Better at parenting
  • Better at staying on top of things before they become crises

And I want to be a better friend. Life gets in the way, and I’ve found myself losing touch with people that I didn’t’ mean to lose touch with. And I’m not as close as I want to be with some others that I see all the time. I want my children to understand how valuable and precious good friends are.

So today,
And tomorrow
And the day after that

I’m going to do better.

1 comment:

The Contessa said...

Hey Lis,

I tend to live by that "Do better" bit myself! Great minds, Lady!

My thing is to try and do ONE thing better each day than the day before. ONe thing is so much less stressful than a whole lot of resolutions.

This year I have a whole lot of resolutions, but I broke them down into my small do better lists.

This week it's my food system. with a side of activity if possible.

I love Do better!!!! So much easier to maintain.